DIRECTOR OF SAFETY, SELF-PERFORM
We have been retained by our client to identify and recruit a Director of Safety, Self-Perform. Our Client is a preeminent large-project general contracting corporation and a highly regarded construction firm providing a full spectrum of preconstruction and construction services. The company is recognized for high quality, speed of construction, industry-leading use of technology in construction, and expertise in building landmark projects. This multibillion-dollar firm is nationally ranked among Engineering News Record's Top Contractors. The company has worked on distinctive projects throughout California for marquee clients and has built numerous iconic and noteworthy projects.
This position will be located in California.The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Promote and continuously achieve industry best-in-class safety performance through the development and implementation of sound safety principles and practices.
- Define (in objective terms) the safety roles and responsibilities of management to serve as safety champions.
- Act as a coach and teacher to management regarding their performance as safety champions.
- Implement career development opportunities for individuals to continually develop safety leadership skills.
- Continually and collaboratively assess safety culture, leadership, systems, processes, etc., and revise accordingly.
- Implement/oversee corporate-wide safety initiatives and ensure they are not only effective, but also have the desired positive impact on the safety culture.
- Facilitate networking between departments to share best practices and lessons learned.
- Participate in and/or review incident analyses to ensure system level influences on behavior are adequately considered and addressed.
- Privately and publicly provide positive reinforcement for specific desired behaviors of all employees.
- Participate in celebrations of safety successes.
- Ensure that all employees are in conformance with applicable codes, policies and company safety culture.
- Ensure subcontractors and vendors take safety seriously. Participate in prequalification review of all subcontractors.
- Responsible for the staffing, budgeting and direction of the Director's Safety Department.
- Perform periodic and frequent safety assessments of jobsites and existing programs.
- Review, evaluate and perform accident investigations/root cause analysis.
- Develop agenda and conduct monthly safety operations meetings.
- Routinely exercise positive interpersonal skills and comfortable interacting with a variety of employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ten plus (10+) years related construction experience with a minimum of five years' safety experience within the construction industry.
- Advanced knowledge of construction industry practices, regulatory agency requirements, and industry standards.
- Proven track record ensuring the safety and health of all personnel on large-scale projects. Working knowledge of OSHA regulations and other relevant standards, codes and best practices. Demonstrated construction safety experience with solid industrial hygiene field skill set preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in leading cultural change, or change management, in a large organization
- Technical construction safety skills and very strong interpersonal and leadership skills to ensure a best in class safety culture.
- Ability to attend to detail and work in a time-conscious and time-effective manner with the ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Experience in dealing with regulatory agencies, safety and health professionals, and legal representatives.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with the ability to use MS Office with proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, and PowerPoint).
- Understanding of loss control and claims management.
- Ability to address an audience of various sizes and comprised of varying levels of responsibilities from craft labor to executive management and effectively communicate messages and ideas.
- Ability to write clear and detailed concise thoughts in a professional manner.
- Ability to supervise, develop and influence multiple employees.
- Excellent written and oral communicator.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills are preferred.
- Bachelor's degree preferred with an emphasis in Industrial Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, or related field.
- BCSP Certifications.
- OSHA 500 certified trainer.
- OSHA 10 & 30 hour trained.
- EM 385 certified.
Qualified, interested candidates may email or fax your resume to us:
Please indicate which position you are applying for by including full name of position. Your resume and all conversations will be held in strictest confidence. Thank you for your interest in CareerSMITH.
[Back to Current Opportunities]